For a printable PDF of these instructions, click here.
(*patients must arrive 1 hour before scheduled procedures)
One week prior to procedure:
- If you take blood thinners please inform us in advance so that these medicines can be managed appropriately
- Blood thinners include Aspirin (or Aspirin containing products), Plavix (Clopidogrel), Effient (Prasugrel), Coumadin (Warfarin), Pradaxa (Dabigatran), Xarelto (Rivaroxaban), Eliquis (Apixaban).
- If you are a diabetic and take insulin or other medications to lower your blood sugar please inform us in advance so that the medicines can be adjusted appropriately.
- Stop any anti-inflammatory medicines including Aleve, Motrin, Advil, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, etc.
- You can take Tylenol if needed for pain.
On the day prior to the procedure:
- You will need to stop eating all solid food 8 hours before your scheduled procedure time.
- You can drink “clear/thin” liquids up to 4 hours prior to your appointment.
- Water, broth, Jello, juice, sports drinks, sodas, ginger ale, popsicles, coffee/tea (without milk).
- Avoid red or purple colored liquids
The day of the procedure:
- Do not eat anything within 8 hours of your procedure and do not drink anything within 4 hours of your procedure otherwise the test may have to be cancelled.
- If you have an early morning procedure, you can bring your medications with you to take after the procedure.
- Please arrive at your designated location at least 45 minutes early to allow for registration. Arriving late may cause your procedure to be delayed or cancelled.
- Women of child-bearing age may be asked to provide a urine sample to ensure you are not pregnant.
- You should be accompanied by a relative/friend to help you get home after the procedure.
- You should not drive or drink alcohol for 12 hours after the procedure.
920 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10028
T: (212) 535-3400
Carnegie Hill Endoscopy Center
1516 Lexington Avenue (at East 98th street)
New York, NY 10029
T: (212) 860-6300
Mount Sinai Hospital Endoscopy Unit
1184 5th Avenue (at East 100th street)
New York, NY 10029
T: (212) 659-8961 (scheduling)
T: (212) 241-6277 (endo unit)
Cancelling or Rescheduling:
- If you need to cancel or reschedule please call us at 212-535-3400 to inform us and allow other patients to use the procedure time.
- There is a $50 fee for no-shows and late cancellations (less than 3 business days).
Please do not hesitate to call us with any questions!