For a printable PDF of these instructions, click here.
(*patients must arrive 1 hour before scheduled procedures)
Appropriate bowel cleansing is one of the most important steps in performing a successful and accurate sigmoidoscopy. Please read this sheet in advance of your procedure and follow these instructions carefully. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call us.
One week prior to procedure:
- Purchase the following items at your local pharmacy:
- One bottle of Magnesium Citrate - 10 ounce (296 mL)
- Two Fleet Enemas
- If you take blood thinners such as Aspirin (or Aspirin containing products), Plavix (Clopidogrel), Effient (Prasugrel), Coumadin (Warfarin), Pradaxa (Dabigatran), Xarelto (Rivaroxaban), Eliquis (Apixaban), or any other blood thinners please inform us in advance so that these medicines can be adjusted appropriately.
- If you are a diabetic and take insulin or other medications to lower your blood sugar please inform us in advance so that these medicines can be adjusted appropriately.
- Stop any anti-inflammatory medicines (Aleve, Motrin, Advil, Ibuprofen, Naproxen). You can take Tylenol if needed.
One day before the procedure:
- You may have a regular breakfast and lunch. Starting in the early afternoon you should remain on a “clear/thin liquid” diet. Examples of clear/thin liquids include water, broth, Jell-o, juices, sports drinks, sodas, ginger ale, lemonade, popsicles, coffee/tea (without milk).
- Drink a bottle of Magnesium Citrate at 10 pm the evening before your procedure. This should produce bowel movements within a few hours. Drink plenty of fluids to maintain hydration and help with the cleansing process.
- Do not eat any solid food within 8 hours of your procedure time.
Day of the procedure:
- Approximately 2 to 4 hours before your procedure take a Fleets Enema and try to hold it for about 10 minutes before evacuation.
- Repeat the process immediately using the second Fleet Enema.
- Do not drink anything within 2 hours of your procedure time otherwise your procedure may be cancelled.
- You can take your regular medications (unless instructed otherwise) with water; but try to do so 2 hours before your procedure. If you have an early morning procedure, you can bring your medications with you and take them after your procedure.
- You should be accompanied by a relative/friend to help you get home after the procedure.
- You should not drive or drink alcohol for 12 hours after the procedure.
920 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10028
T: (212) 535-3400
Carnegie Hill Endoscopy Center
1516 Lexington Avenue (at East 98th street)
New York, NY 10029
T: (212) 860-6300
Mount Sinai Hospital Endoscopy Unit
1184 5th Avenue (at East 100th street)
New York, NY 10029
T: (212) 659-8961 (scheduling)
T: (212) 241-6277 (endo unit)
Please do not hesitate to call us with any questions!