For a printable PDF of these instructions, click here.
(*patients must arrive 1 hour before scheduled procedures)
Appropriate bowel cleansing is one of the most important steps in performing a successful and accurate colonoscopy. Please read this sheet in advance of your procedure and follow these instructions carefully.
One week prior to procedure:
- Fill your prescription for Suprep at your pharmacy.
- Avoid nuts, seeds, popcorn, grapes, green peas, beans and tomatoes since these may interfere with preparation.
- If you take blood thinners please inform us in advance so that these medicines can be adjusted appropriately.
- Blood thinners include Aspirin (or Aspirin containing products), Plavix (Clopidogrel), Effient (Prasugrel), Coumadin (Warfarin), Pradaxa (Dabigatran), Xarelto (Rivaroxaban), Eliquis (Apixaban).
- If you are a diabetic and take insulin or other medications to lower your blood sugar please inform us in advance so that these medicines can be adjusted appropriately.
- Stop any anti-inflammatory medicines (Aleve, Motrin, Advil, Ibuprofen, Naproxen).
- You can take Tylenol if needed for pain.
- Stop taking iron supplements or vitamins containing iron.
On the day before the procedure:
- You may have a light breakfast.
- You will need to be on a “clear/thin” liquid diet for the rest of the day. Examples of clear/thin liquids include water, broth, Jell-o, juices, sports drinks, sodas, ginger ale, lemonade, popsicles, coffee/tea (without milk).
- Avoid red or purple colored liquids, juices with pulp, dairy products.
- It is important to stay hydrated and drink as much fluid as you can throughout the day!
- If your procedure is in the morning:
- Empty one bottle of Suprep into the mixing container. Add water to the 16-oz line and mix thoroughly. Drink the solution at 6 pm the night before your procedure. Then drink at least two 16-oz containers of water within one hour.
- Repeat the above process at 10 pm the night before your procedure.
- If your procedure is in the afternoon:
- Empty one bottle of Suprep into the mixing container. Add water to the 16-oz line and mix thoroughly. Drink the solution at 10 pm the night before your procedure. Then drink at least two 16-oz containers of water within one hour.
- Repeat the above process at 6am the morning of your procedure.
- Drinking additional fluids throughout the process will improve cleansing and maintain hydration.
- Bowel movements should begin within several hours of drinking the solution. Bloating and nausea are common during the preparation process and will improve when bowel movements begin. If nausea becomes severe, stop drinking fluid for 30 minutes, then resume drinking at a slower pace.
The day of the procedure:
- Do not drink anything within 4 hours of your procedure otherwise your procedure may be cancelled.
- You can take your regular medications (unless instructed otherwise) with water; but try to do so 4 hours before your procedure. If you have an early morning procedure, you can bring your medications with you and take them after your procedure.
- Please arrive at your designated location at least one hour early to allow for registration so that your procedure is not delayed or cancelled.
- Women of child-bearing age may be asked to provide a urine sample to ensure you are not pregnant.
- You should be accompanied by a relative/friend to help you get home after the procedure.
- You should not drive or drink alcohol for 12 hours after the procedure.
920 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10028
T: (212) 535-3400
Carnegie Hill Endoscopy Center
1516 Lexington Avenue (at East 98th street)
New York, NY 10029
T: (212) 860-6300
Mount Sinai Hospital Endoscopy Unit
1184 5th Avenue (at East 100th street)
New York, NY 10029
T: (212) 659-8961 (scheduling)
T: (212) 241-6277 (endo unit)
Cancelling or Rescheduling:
- If you need to cancel or reschedule please call us at 212-535-3400 to inform us and allow other patients to use the procedure time.
- There is a $50 fee for no-shows and late cancellations (less than 3 business days).
Please do not hesitate to call us with any questions!